Owner, Impressions Dance Club since 1993
Rising Star Rhythm Champion, Honolulu 2001
I first began teaching in Seattle, Washington where my partner and I taught countless workshops to the ballroom and country western community. We were offered a position working for Fred Astaire Dance Studios in Arlington, Texas and then were transferred to their top grossing studio in Phoenix, Arizona.
After my daughter was born, I returned to the Northwest to be closer to family and opened Impressions Dance Club in Tigard, Oregon. During the next few years, the studio won numerous teaching awards and top school awards as a competitive dance studio. In 2001 my partner and I won the Rising Star Rhythm Championship at the Hawaii Star Ball in Honolulu, then I decided I needed (and wanted!) to stay home with my children, Savannah and Jonathan.
I shifted focus from competitive dancing to social dance and focused on education for school age children. In 2002 I started producing programs for school assemblies and teaching for the DARE Program in Tigard. By 2004 I'd held my first school program and elementary school dance competition. I also began teaching as an adjunct instructors for Lewis & Clark College. In just a few short years I've had the opportunity to teach thousands of children in the northwest the basics of social education and dance!
I still teaches private lessons and group classes at various locations throughout the area and hold bi-monthly community dances in the Cedar Mill area and I continue to teach at elementary schools throughout the area.
American Style Dance is reminiscent of the days of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The open style of the movement allows partners to separate and then return to the closed dance position.
We enjoy the freedom of movement American Style Dance allows and have fun putting our own personality into every dance. It is our goal to help our students learn to do the same so they too can enjoy dancing as much as we do.
American Style Dances include:
Foxtrot - Waltz - Tango - Viennese Waltz
Rumba - Cha Cha - Salsa - Samba - Merengue -
Bolero - Night Club Two Step
Two Step - Ten Step - Country Waltz - Pattern &
Line Dances -
East Coast - West Coast - Lindy Hop - Hustle
Cynthia R. Hively-Parent
- Widely known owner and manager of ballroom dance studios for over 20 years in Washington and Oregon. Instructors for 25 years. Offering strong communication, interpersonal and rapport building skills. Motivated self-starters, hardworking and committed to achieving success. Developers and implementers of business ideas, dance courses, marketing and advertising. Record of achievement in applying skills to efficiently manage projects and daily operations. Action oriented, focused on goals and creative solutions.
- Productively work with clients—ability to identify needs, tactfully answer questions, demonstrate ideas and teach concepts. Award winning dance professionals. Offering well-developed skills in teaching, identifying goals and guiding clients to achieve them.
- Experienced, skillful public speakers and presenters. Team leaders and team players. Quick learners, able to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
1997 – Present IMPRESSIONS DANCE CLUB Portland, Oregon
Owner, Manager, Instructor
- Responsibilities involved creating and maintaining relationships—the good as well as the sometimes challenging—with all students, employees and vendors. Effectively interacted with people to determine needs and to put ourselves in their shoes to see their point of view. Successfully communicated honestly with them to help them achieve their goals and set new ones.
- Skillfully taught a wide variety of both American and International dance styles including Ballroom: Foxtrot, Waltz, Viennese Waltz and Tango; Latin: Rumba Cha-Cha, Salsa, Merengue and Samba; Country Western: Two-Step, Line Dances, Country Waltz; Swing: East Coast, West Coast and Lindy Hop.
- Accompanied students to competitions and competed as partners with them throughout the United States and Canada
- Choreographed and produced Professional and Pro-Am Dance Show
- 2001 Honolulu Star Ball Rising Star Rhythm Champions. Performed for and taught at numerous events including: US Amateur Ballroom Dance Association; Northwest Wedding Shows; Good Day Oregon; AM Northwest; The Royal Rosarians; Intel Corporation; NW Photographers Association; St. Mary’s Academy; Elementary, Middle and High Schools in Lake Oswego, Tigard/Tualatin and Beaverton and Molalla School District; and countless private parties and events.
Teaching Experience Outside the Studio
2004—Present Elementary School Programs Portland Metro Area, Oregon
- Taught 4th and 5th grade students at Durham Elementary, Charles F. Tigard Elementary and Deer Creek Elementary Schools basic social dance and etiquette skills in conjunction with their music and PE classes and helped coordinate programs to demonstrate those skills to their parents at either music programs or mini-competitions. Continued with after-school programs for three of those years.
- Taught K-5 program at Clarkes Elementary School in Mulino, Oregon. Dance instruction included age appropriate line and social dance skills that culminated in a performance for their parents that included the entire school.
- Taught 5th – 12th grades at Renaissance Public Academy in Molalla, Oregon. Dance instruction included basics in Swing, Foxtrot, Salsa, Waltz and Line Dancing that concluded with a show for the student’s parents and the public at the school’s auction.
2006—Present Middle School Programs Tigard, Oregon
- Effectively taught students the basics of Swing, Salsa and other social dances as part of the Hazelbrook Middle School PE classes. The classes often involved up to 80 plus students in classes six times a day.
2005—Present Tigard High Leadership Class Tigard, Oregon
- Taught Leadership Class the basics of social dancing and etiquette to help them host their annual Senior Citizen Ball for the community. Worked with students to teach them how to ask a partner to dance, escort them on and off the dance floor and carry on appropriate conversation with their guests.
2005—2008 D.A.R.E./G.R.E.A.T. Program Tigard, Oregon
- Taught summer campers at the Tigard Police-sponsored camps the basics of social dancing as a fun group-interaction activity involving all 70 campers and counselors ages 10—to 17; included line dancing, Swing, Hustle, Tango, Cotton-Eyed Joe, etc.
2005—Present Lewis and Clark College Portland, Oregon
- Taught Beginning and Intermediate/Advanced Ballroom undergraduate courses.
2007-Present Oregon Educators Association Portland, Oregon
- Taught dance instruction to educators in conjunction with the Oregon Education Association summer workshop conference. Discussed techniques for teaching dance to students as part of PE and Music Programs.
Lakewood Center for the
Dance-Aerobics Instructor -- Cynthia
and teach Ballroom and Broadway style dance based aerobics class
specifically targeted at women over 40 who love to utilize different dance forms to stay fit.
1996—1997 Fred Astaire Dance World Phoenix, Arizona
Dance Instructor and Sales Trainer - Cynthia
- Trained Instructors in dance and sales techniques for award-winning studio.
- Effectively taught new teachers, identified their goals and helped them in achieving them by placing them in appropriate positions in company.
1993--1996 Impressions Dance Club Seattle, Washington
- Trained students in the art of ballroom dance
- Competed with students at local competitions
- Choreographed and produced Ballroom Dance Showcases and Reviews
- Presented new dance styles at workshops and conventions throughout the area
Impressions Dance Club in the News: